The primary role of the upper extremity is to position the hand for optimal function. Proper use of the bones, joints, muscles and nerves of the hand and upper extremity are critical for this, as well as, other daily activities. The hands are the main source of contact with the physical environment by means of touch whether you are holding a child, or meeting someone for the first time. Our hands are used to express emotions and to communicate ideas non-verbally.
Hand and upper extremity related injuries or disease can be devastating and significantly affect a person’s quality of life. At beFIT THERAPY, our certified hand therapist (CHT), Dr. Wen Yau Yen, is trained in the most progressive interventions from the world leading hospital in orthopedics. She is skilled in the treatment of a variety of bone and soft tissue conditions and will use a thorough evaluation to create an individualized treatment program.
Some of these conditions include:
- Hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder fractures
- Digit fracture dislocations, crush injuries or amputations
- Flexor and extensor tendons repairs or transfers
- Nerve repair with or without a graft
- Extensor Carpi Ulnaris (ECU) sheath reconstruction
- Elbow Posterolateral Rotatory Instability (PLRI)
- Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex (TFCC) debridement or repair
- Ganglion cyst or mass excisions
- Cumulative trauma disorders