Dr. Wen Yau Yen
Dr. Yen is a licensed Doctor of Physical Therapy (DPT) and a Certified Hand Therapist (CHT). Her clinical interests include sports related hand and upper extremity diagnoses. Her credentials also include Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT), Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) Level 1 Certification and Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA).
She received her DPT from New York University in 2004 and her Bachelor of Science in Spanish with a minor in Kinesiology from Pennsylvania State University in 2000. She completed the Hand Therapy Fellowship at Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) in May 2010 and she worked at the PT-Affiliated with HSS at Goldman Sachs. Prior to her fellowship she worked at an outpatient private practice in New York City in the Spine and Upper Extremity department. She is on the faculty of the HSS Hand Therapy Fellowship program and serves as one of the hand therapy mentors for the Orthopedic PT Residency program.
Dr. Yen has been heavily involved in the academic setting in Manhattan, teaching physical therapy doctoral students at New York University, Columbia University and Hunter College. She presented at HSS Rehabilitation Grand Rounds and at the Elbow Symposium, and spoken at national conferences on Elbow Posterolateral Rotatory Instability and Ulnar-sided Wrist Pathology.
She is currently a Nominating Chair Committee member of the American Physical Therapy Association's Hand & Upper Extremity Academy. She was a member of American Society of Hand Therapists' Education Division and wrote a quarterly feature for the ASHT Times for six years. She had the opportunity to volunteer as part of the medical staff at the Rio Olympics in the summer of 2016. She went to Honduras in November of 2017 with the American Society for Surgery of the Hand's The Touching Hands Project, to expand their mission to help adults and children with hand and upper extremity diagnoses that have limited access to healthcare.
- New York University, Doctor of Physical Therapy
- Pennsylvania State University, Bachelor of Science in Spanish, Minor in Kinesiology
- Hospital for Special Surgery, Hand Therapy Fellowship
- Proficient in Portuguese and Spanish. Working knowledge in Mandarin.
- Certified Hand Therapist (CHT)
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT), Academy of Lymphatic Studies
- Titleist Performance Institute L1 Certification
- Selective Functional Movement Assessment (SFMA)
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
- Hand and Upper Extremity Academy Nominating Committee Member 2017-current
- American Society of Hand Therapists (ASHT)
- Education Division Member 2013-2017